Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tips and Tricks on Putting Together and Hanging a Wall Collage


Working at Inspired Living: Design and Home Décor has taught me many important skills in decorating that you just can’t learn in school. One of those skills I would have to say is putting together a wall collage. Here are some tips and tricks on how you can put together your own wall collage.

#1           Think about what you have and draw it out



I am personally a very visual person and (especially when I get excited about something) I prefer to draw it out. All of the items I drew I already had except for the letter D, which I figured would be easy to find.

#2           Lay it out on the ground


If you absolutely hate drawing you can skip the first step and go onto this one. Sometimes this is easier to really see sizes, texture, etc. It is important to have items of different depths or shapes to add visual interest.

#3           Trace your collage onto a large piece of paper


By so doing you can see how high you should go above the furniture piece and easily see/remember where each piece needs to go. For placement of the hanger; I just poked a pin where I felt the hole of the frame’s hanger. I also saw a great idea here where you use wax paper so you can see through and mark where the holes of the frame’s hanger is.

#4           Start Nailing away


It’s funny my sweet husband is a stickler about everything being level and even, so he insisted on hammering the nails into the wall, which I was more than happy to let him do.

#5           Accessorize and enjoy your new wall collage



I’m always changing my shelf with the seasons, and when I find something better to use. The Christmas picture was taken 2 years ago it has changed since then. I do want to eventually buy a large 18” apothecary jar for the longer shelf, but I need to make a special trip to Tia Pan for that. Everywhere else I’ve looked around here is too expensive for my budget. 



It might not look like much, but we have come to really like our little apartment. It helps when you make it your own through decorating and baby toys :-)

I hope this was useful, if you have any questions feel free to comment or email me at chelseamccoy1989@gmail.com

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Love it. I need u to come decorate my house!!! You have a gift of decorating.